Thursday, March 27, 2008

The True Meaning of Easter

On Saturday afternoon I asked Caleb, "Do you know why we have Easter?"
He replied with great excitement, "When Easter comes, I get candy in my basket , but not yet, I have to wait for Easter to come to my house!"
I said, "Yes, you will get candy, but we have Easter because Jesus rose from the dead. Jesus was God's Son and..."
Caleb interrupted me with even greater excitement,"Yes, and Jonah got eaten by a whale-- it was big,BIG! But I didn't get eaten by a whale! The whale went like this, CHOMP!!! (actions included) --- Can I have candy now?"

That was pretty much the end of our theological conversation.We'll tackle that subject again and eventually all of the Bible stories and Sunday school lessons will start to mean more to him than just an entertaining story; and, more importantly, holidays will mean more than just candy and presents.

I was thinking, though, it is easy, even as adults, to fall into that three-year-old mentality. We get all worked up about our new Easter clothes and all of our Easter plans that we barely stop to think about why we are celebrating this holiday.
Romans 5: 8 says, " But God commendeth his love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us."
Romans 10:9 says,"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Praise the Lord for His provision for our salvation!



Here are some of our Easter pictures:
Caleb and his cousin Molly decorated Easter cookies the week before Easter.


Easter morning

Afternoon at Nana's house

1 comments:

Jaime said...

Your little ones are SOOO cute Stephanie!